Junior Transit Manager (Service Delivery)
This position, based in Hereford UK, is for a full-time Junior Transit Manager (TM) for Ambrey’s Service Delivery Department. The TM will be responsible for managing transits from first client contact; providing quotation, managing the transit, through to the final invoice. This holistic approach will ensure client focused delivery on time and on budget to contract specification. The post holder will be the member of a small team and will control all allocated elements of
commercial and operational capability to ensure that every transit makes a profit. The TM will work alongside other TMs in their region and department to ensure that resourcing requirements are always met and services delivered efficiently. The TM will work closely with and take direction from their Senior Transit Manager (STM) who has the overall responsibility for managing all aspects of maritime transits to maximum efficiency in their region.
It is vital that the individual at all times promotes Ambrey, our interests and approach to business. It is essential that they act in accordance with our business principles which are as follows:
- Our clients’ interests always come first. We make sure that we understand what our clients are trying to accomplish and the manner in which they want to achieve it. We will always deliver more value than expected but this does not mean we will do whatever the client asks.
- We always provide independent and objective advice. Our autonomy is our greatest strength and we will be able to disagree, regardless of the popularity of our views or their effect on our fees.
- We take great pride in the professional quality of our work. We would, if it came to a choice, rather be best than biggest.
- Our assets are our people and reputation. We will make an extraordinary effort to identify and recruit the very best person for every job. In a service business, we know that without the best people, we cannot be the best company.
- We always treat our clients with the utmost discretion. Confidentiality is at the core of our business and ensures we provide the highest standards of service.
- Integrity and honesty are at the heart of our business. We will always compete fairly and never denigrate other companies.
- We stress creativity and imagination in everything we do. While recognising that the old way may still be the best way, we constantly strive to find a better solution to a client’s problems.
The following skills and experience are essential for this role:
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills.
- Strong client-facing skills, with ability to efficiently communicate with a wide range of clients via phone and email.
- High levels of initiative and motivation.
- Have good judgement and decision making skills.
- Ability to multitask in a pressure environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
- Excellent project, planning, change and time Management capabilities
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and recommend new operational systems, policies and procedures to improve best practice.
The following skills and experience are desirable for this role:
- Previous experience within the maritime services sector in a Commercial or Operations role.
- Knowledge and understanding of key maritime and land-based security issues, including piracy, port security and terrorism.
The role will entail responsibility as follows:
The role will include, and not be limited to;
- Ability to coach and mentor other members of their team to deliver an end to end transit solution, in conjunction with senior management, balancing commercial, operational and business imperatives, utilising a bespoke Client Relationship Management tool.
- Ability to collaborate with other Transit Managers to ensure company objectives are completed.
- Establish and maintain a thorough understanding of all of your client’s needs and requirements.
- Allocation of tasks to Transit Coordinators and performance monitoring and management.
- Excellent IT skills covering Microsoft Office and the Ambrey CRM system.
- Strong administration skills, with the ability to manage numerous transits and projects simultaneously while meeting exacting deadline
- Have a thorough understanding of the cost and pricing model for a transit so as to ensure the maximisation of profit on every transit.
- Have the ability to prioritise tasks based on the client, the cost and the benefit to the company.
- Manage external relationships for the team (clients, agents, contractors, vessel Masters) in line with allocated specialisms in the team.
- Work with the team to ensure all transits across the business are supported in the most cost-efficient manner whilst also delivering on client requirement
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the cost and profit model used by Ambrey to ensure that maximum profitability is delivered on every transit within the team.
- Monitor and report on operational personnel incidents including management of reports and interviews, CPARs etc.
- Have client-facing skills, with business development capability with existing and new clients.
- Ability to network and establish relationships with client organisations.
- Be interchangeable with other Transit Managers and able to cover during times of leave/illness etc.
- In conjunction with the Transit Managers be aware of and review potential reductions re costs of sale.
- Act as the out of hours/weekend response manager for your regional team and be prepared to act as the weekend manager for the service delivery team on a rotational basis.
- Assist in the interview, selection, training and mentoring of new team members.
- Continually assess internal operational processes and procedures; implement improvements.
- Maintain and contribute to the development of policies and procedures in line with Ambrey ISO requirements.
- Undertake any other task which the STM deems reasonable from a management perspective.
Terms and conditions
- Hours of work are based around the transit management shift rota Mon-Sun 0600-2200, plus additional hours as required and directed, out of hours working on a routine basis
- Annual Leave: 25 days pa. plus public holidays
- Starting salary £21,000, rising to £25,000 on successful completion of training.
The Job Description for this post will be subject to routine review and revision in order to meet the developmental requirements of the company. The post holder may be required to undertake additional appropriate duties as directed and required.