Ambrey requires an experienced in-house commercial lawyer with good communication skills, a practical approach to workload and enthusiasm for the UK and overseas challenges and tasks of a dynamic and growing company. As Legal Counsel you will be able to operate at senior management level, responsible for overseeing all legal aspects of the company, ensuring compliance with laws and regulations and quality assuring all company contracts. You will be dealing with legal issues, contractual drafing of more comple contracts and their reviews, the annual company insurance placement and claims, risks management and more. Proven technical ability to provide coherent and concise analysis of legal risks to company directors, and an understanding of commercial realities, is essential to ensure all areas of operation are protected and business objectives met.
This position, based at the Hereford head office, is for a full-time Legal Counsel reporting intially to the Associate Director, Compliance.
The Legal Counsel will be based in the Compliance and Legal department and will manage their own portifolio of responsibilities across the business lines of the Ambrey Group in the UK and overseas. The role will have line management responsibilities for a Commercial Contracts Lawyer and will be expected to work closely with the compliance officer.
Ambrey is an award-winning security, marine and risk management company, operating globally in the commercial sector from the UK Head Office and 7 regional offices;
• The largest in the maritime security and risk management sector and a market leader in compliance.
• 30 million turnover group with a small business flexibility mindset.
• Focused on growth and quality of service.
Ambrey manage the commercial and operational requirements compliantly and to a high standard in a complex security environment via legal requirements in company policy, procedures and Management Systems. These systems are maintained in accordance with:
• Client and third party stakeholder requirements
• National and International regulation / legislation / guidance
• Accreditation and certification bodies
The management systems support the following:
-100 corporate personnel at locations in the UK, Dubai, Sri Lanka, India, South Korea, Japan, Nigeria
-1000 operational personal (crew & security) working in multiple high risk regions
• Group entities:
-Ambrey Risk, Ambrey International, Ambrey Offshore, Ambrey Services DMCC, Ambrey Nigeria, Ambrey Mozambique
• Internal Departments:
-Operations (including Logistics, Manpower)
-Offshore (Vessel Management)
-Business Management (including Office Services, IT, HR)
The following are on an external and intercompany basis:
• Providing commercially focused and pragmatic legal advice and services to senior management
• Reviewing and drafting a broad range of complex, international agreements with a diverse range of customers, partners and suppliers
• Oversight and management of contracting process requirements across a variety of commercial contracts including BIMCO Guardcon and Chaterparty Agreements
• Management of tasks to issues, disputes, incidents and potential risks
• Draft proposals and agreements for discussion, review, negotiation and execution
• Actively contributing to direct contract negotiations, ensuring robust protection for the company
• Ensuring Mmaintenance of a Contract Register – tracking all contracts incoming & outgoing through the various stages of the contracting process and secure filing of all executed contracts
• Ensuring Mmaintenance of the Insurance Register – tracking all endorsements, amendments, claims and correspondence incoming and outgoing through the various stages of the insurance process and maintinaing the insurance matrix
• Attending to the annual placement of the company insurance policies including group personal accident cover, liability cover, hull and machinery cover, P&I cover and contents cover. Managing these policies, updates, endorsements and overseeing the claims management cycle.
• Management of company vessel requirements in relation to flag, class and insurance as directed by the Offshore Management team
• Support to new business development initiatives, including international company set ups and projects.
• Research, development, and application of legislation, regulation and guidance
• Implementation of industry, corporate laws and standards
• Development and implementation of internal policies and procedures (including company Standard Operating Procedures)
• Ensuring Ininternal training provision and impelenting a Training Register.
• High level of initiative and self-motivation.
• Good judgement and decision making skills, with an understanding of the impact on stakeholders.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
• Excellent IT skills covering the Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong administration skills, with the ability to assist in numerous projects simultaneously while meeting exacting deadlines.
• Ability to work under pressure and produce quality contracts swiftly and accurately.
• Ability to analyse, evaluate and recommend new systems / policies / procedures to improve best practice.
• Possess excellent contract drafting skills
• Qualified solicitor (UK Qualified, Dual Qualified or Internationally Qualified)/ Barrister / Legal Executive
• 5-10 years commercial or professional practice experience
• Track record of excellent negotiation skills
• Previous experience within the shipping / maritime security / risk management sector
• Previous experience within an international commercial organisation
• Corportate Governance and company secretarial experience in relation to group companies
• Confidentiality: Confidentiality/data protection regarding all personal information and Ambrey activity must be maintained at all times (both in and out of working hours) in accordance with relevant legislation such as the Data Protection Act/ GDPR. The post holder should ensure that they are familiar with and adhere to all Ambrey Information Governance policies and procedures. Any breach of confidentiality will be taken seriously and appropriate disciplinary action may be taken.
• Equal Opportunities: Promote the concepts of equality of opportunity and managing diversity across the business.
• Health and Safety: Employees must be aware of the responsibilities placed upon them under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, paying due regard to health and safety in the workplace and management of risk to maintain a safe working environment for service users, visitors and employees.
• Professional standards and performance review: Maintain consistent high professional standards. Employees are expected to participate in the performance review process.
• The post-holder is required to adhere to the international code of conduct for private security providers at all levels.
• Finance: All Ambrey staff will comply with financial processes and procedures
It is vital that the individual always promotes Ambrey, our interests and approach to business.
It is essential that they act in accordance with our business principles which are as follows
• Our clients’ interests always come first. We make sure that we understand what our clients are trying to accomplish and the way they want to achieve it. We will always deliver more value than expected but this does not mean we will do whatever the client asks.
• We always provide independent and objective advice. Our autonomy is our greatest strength and we will be able to disagree, regardless of the popularity of our views or their effect on our fees.
• We take great pride in the professional quality of our work. We would, if it came to a choice, rather be best than biggest.
• Our assets are our people and reputation. We will make an extraordinary effort to identify and recruit the very best person for every job. In a service business, we know that without the best people, we cannot be the best company.
• We always treat our clients with the utmost discretion. Confidentiality is at the core of our business and ensures we provide the highest standards of service.
• Integrity and honesty are at the heart of our business. We will always compete fairly and never denigrate other companies.
• We stress creativity and imagination in everything we do. While recognising that the old way may still be the best way, we constantly strive to find a better solution to a client’s problems.
• Salary – competitive
• A probation period of 6 months
• Full time position. 45 hours per week, Monday to Friday (inclusive of 1 hour lunch each day); with out of hours response tasks as per requirement
• Annual Leave: 25 days pa plus public holidays
If you’re interested in being part of our team, we’d love to hear from you. Just send a cover letter and a copy of your CV to OfficeJobs@ambrey.com.
The Job Description for this post will be subject to routine review and revision in order to meet the developmental requirements of the company. The post holder may be required to undertake additional appropriate duties as directed and required.